ADSM-L

Re: TSM, Solaris and Fibre connected drives ?

2004-03-30 03:24:38
Subject: Re: TSM, Solaris and Fibre connected drives ?
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:23:15 +0100
Was that going through a switch or are the fibre drives directly connected?
The reason I ask is that I'm unsure how the OS picks up the new devices
through a switch. We have a SAN, and I'm used to the fact that you have to
tell the SAN which LUNS are available to which host (using the WWN), but as
far as I'm aware, you don't do any such thing with drives.

Do you know of any decent TSM documentation that covers this at all?

Thanks

Farren
|+-------------------------------+----------------------------------------|
||   Luke Dahl                   |                                        |
||   <ldahl AT JPL.NASA DOT GOV>        |

||   Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor   |   To:        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

||   Manager"                    |           cc:                          |
||   <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>      |           Subject:        Re: TSM,

||                               |   Solaris and Fibre connected drives ? |
||   03/29/2004 05:41 PM         |                                        |
||   Please respond to "ADSM:    |                                        |
||   Dist Stor Manager"          |                                        |
||                               |                                        |
|+-------------------------------+----------------------------------------|

We're doing exactly the same thing now only we're on TSM 5.2.2.1.  Just
finished some preliminary testing.  TSM still uses the /dev/rmt/*st entries
for
the drives.  There are two "st" entries for each drive being they have two
fiber ports.  We had some issues with our fiber cards not supporting the
drives
- we went from Qlogic to Emulex and don't have any issues now.  Other than
that
it was pretty straightforward.  Once you have defined a drive and a path,
you
can see the wwn and trace that back to the drive to come up with a matrix
so
you  know which "st" entry belongs to each drive.

Luke