ADSM-L

Re: Management Class for Lotus Domino

2004-03-25 15:18:07
Subject: Re: Management Class for Lotus Domino
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:17:05 -0500
Since the transactions logs are uniquely named, versioning doesn't apply.So
for the VEREXIST and RETEXTRA parameters don't really matter. Since you'll
only ever have 1 version and it will be the active version which will never
be expired. The transaction logs are expired by the TDP agent by running the
INACTIVATELOGS command. Any transaction logs that contain transactions for
databases that have a current full backup of them are marked inactive to th
e TSM server. So then the VERDELETED and RETONLY come into play. Set the
RETONLY parameter for how long you now want to retain the logs. Since
there's only 1 copy of a log, make VERD=1.

On the client in the DSM.OPT file in the TDP Domino directory add an
include:

        include  S*.TXN     archivelogsmanagementclass

I believe there is one in there already, just commented out. For sites where
I've installed TDP Domin with transaction logging enabled I run the
following schedules:

- Weekly FULL backup of all Domino databases, followed by INACTIVATELOGS in
the same script.
- Daily/nightly INCREMENTAL backup. This will catch any new databases added
since the last full, any databases that have had their DBIID changed and
will inactivate/expire any databases that have been deleted from the Domino
data directory that have been backed up.
- Every x-hours backup the archive logs. How often will depend on client
requirements on how much data they are willing to lose in the event the
drive crashes.

A couple other issues we ran across....make sure that the directory for the
transaction logs on the Domino server is on a different drive than the
Domino data directory. I've seen filesystem corruptions on high volume
Domino servers where they are on the same drive. And also, if this is a high
volume server, you may want to look at having a different server to do the
restores. I've seen Domino servers crash due to resource shortages when
doing a restore/recovery with logs.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.