ADSM-L

tsm and rman

2004-03-22 09:20:16
Subject: tsm and rman
From: Justin Bleistein <justin.bleistein AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:07:28 -0500
I have successfully setup, backed up, restored, and recovered an oracle
database using rman tdp for tsm. Now I'm looking for a document of some
sort, or maybe someone could answer the following maintenance questions:

I'm running RMAN with no recovery catalog to tsm using the tdp:

1.) When you run RMAN without a recovery catalog, it stores backup info in
the control file of the target database. How does syncing work with no
recovery catalog? Because I'm not using a recovery catalog the: "tdposync"
command won't work (I don't think it would work anyway). When the retention
day has been crossed on the tsm server, is that backup record deleted from
the control file/rman as well?.

2.) When I set the TSM retention policy for 50 days let's say, do I need to
update that CONTROLFILE_KEEP parameter in the database's pfile for that
long as well so the backup record in the control file doesn't get aged out?

3.) What role does the control file play with no catalog when you are using
TSM as the MML?.

4.) What maintenance do I have to keep up with for RMAN when I'm using the
current control file as the catalog and TSM as the MML? How can I keep them
in sync?

Thanks in advance

--Justin Richard Bleistein