ADSM-L

Re: HowTo: Load Data Directly from TSM into Excel Spreadsheet?

2004-03-18 19:23:32
Subject: Re: HowTo: Load Data Directly from TSM into Excel Spreadsheet?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:23:09 -0700
I am not sure what you mean by "TSM SQL interface"; are you referring to
the ODBC driver or the Admin CLI? I would recommend using the ODBC driver.
>From a new Excel worksheet, select the "Data/Get External Data/New
Database Query..." menu item. When prompted to choose a data source,
select the DSN you configured for the TSM ODBC driver. When prompted for
your TSM Admin password, enter it. This will start the MS Query wizard
where you can determine which data you want to extract. Just before you
get to the "Finish" button in the wizard, click "Save Query..." to save
the query to a local file. Then click "Finish". You'll get a prompt "Where
do you want to put the data?" to which you can just click "OK" (or if you
know better where you want it, make your choice).

The next time you want to run the query, select the "Data/Get External
Data/Run Saved Query..." menu item to re-run the query. You'll have to
re-enter a password and reply to the "Where do you want to put the data?"
prompt, but otherwise it is fairly easy.

You might be able to further automate this through VBA scripting. There
are a couple of APARs that VBA users ought to be aware of: IC39895 and
IC39896, which should be fixed within the next few weeks.

I'm not sure if this helps. If not, then perhaps the question is better
left to an expert at using Excel, as it is more Excel-related than
TSM-related.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Dwight McCann <dwight AT TRIXIE.ISC.UCSB DOT EDU>
03/18/2004 16:34
Please respond to
Dwight.McCann

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
HowTo: Load Data Directly from TSM into Excel Spreadsheet?

I am running TSM 5.1.8.3 on Windows 2000.  I would like to be able to
load data directly into an Excel spreadsheet from the TSM SQL
interface.  When I try this, the best I seem to get to be forced to use
MS Query which loads it into an intermediate file that I then have to
load.  I would ideally like to have a macro that I could use to populate
an Excel spreadsheet.  Anyone have such a thing working or could explain
what I am doing wrong and need to do right?

TIA,
--

Dwight McCann
Computer and Network Technologist, UCSB Info Systems & Computing