ADSM-L

Re: veritas backup exec client and TSM server

2004-03-15 16:15:03
Subject: Re: veritas backup exec client and TSM server
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:14:38 +0100
On Mar 15, 2004, at 21:33, Paul Fielding wrote:

I would be prepared to assume it.  I once tried to contact Veritas for
support when a client was trying to use Backup Exec to backup Exchange
databases to a TSM server.  We couldn't get it to talk to the server.
Not
even a peep.  Actlog indicated B.E. never got even as far as trying to
talk
to TSM.

First, I got passed to *four* different technical guys before we hit
one who
even knew what TSM was, let alone the fact that their product supports
dumping
to TSM.   After he poured through the install manual (which we already
told
him we'd done thoroughly) he solemnly declared that we needed to
reinstall
our TSM *server*.  You can imagine our response...

We eventually got it to work without Veritas's help, but after using
for 3
weeks they went back to using the Tivoli agent.

Now,

this is usefull input. This means I now have an actual agrument to tell
my collegues not to use this sw because it sucks and Vertias support is
sub-standard. Knowing that we do have relyable backups using TSM for
mail, the effort and cost of this new client is probably more expensive
than a few disks (and a server to go with those).

regards,

Paul