ADSM-L

Re: Windows XP, ASR, and ANS1468E

2004-03-09 10:18:01
Subject: Re: Windows XP, ASR, and ANS1468E
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 08:17:22 -0700
If you have the QUIET option set, comment it out so you get verbose
output. Then see if you can you reproduce the error by running:

   dsmc backup asr

If you can reproduce it that way, then try this:

   dsmc backup asr -traceflags=service -tracefile=tsmtrace.txt

Collect the dsmc output (*all* of it!), dsmerror.log and tsmtrace.txt.
Contact IBM support for further assistance (sending them the collected
data). They can review the trace and see where the backup is failing.

If the above method does not result in a reproduction of the problem, they
add the following to your client options file:

   tracefile tsmtrace.txt
   traceflags service

If QUIET is in effect, comment that out as well. Restart the scheduler,
wait for the scheduled event to run. After it runs (hopefully with the
failure you describe), stop the scheduler, collect dsmsched.log,
dsmerror.log, and tsmtrace.txt, and contact IBM support. Take out the
above tracing options, reinstate QUIET if you wish, and restart your
scheduler.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Matt Zufelt <mzufelt AT SUU DOT EDU>
03/09/2004 08:03
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Windows XP, ASR, and ANS1468E

Thank you to those that provided suggestions yesterday.  I added exclude
lines to my DSM.OPT file to take care of all the files that are in use.
That cleaned up those error messages, but did not help with the ASR error.
 I'm still getting the ANS1468E when my client attempts to backup the
automated system recovery files.  Below is a copy of the entire
dsmerror.log file from last night:

03/09/2004 00:08:33 ANS1228E Sending of object 'C:' failed
03/09/2004 00:08:33 ANS1468E Backing up Automated System Recovery (ASR)
files failed.  No files will be backed up.

03/09/2004 00:14:04 ANS1512E Scheduled event 'BACKUP' failed.  Return code
= 12.

As mentioned previously, I cannot do an ASR backup manually either (via
backup asr at the DSMC command line).  At this point I don't know what
else to do but remove SYSTEMOBJECT from my backup list.  Don't really want
to do that for all the obvious reasons, but it wouldn't be the end of the
world if that was the only solution.  If this client were to ever die, I
would probably prefer to do a ground-up rebuild anyway, rather than an ASR
restore.

Thanks again for the help!

Matt Zufelt
Southern Utah University

>>> Jackie.DeJoe AT SLBG DOT COM 3/8/2004 1:14:28 PM >>>
If you use an exclude/include list, and record these files in the list,
then
you will no longer recieve the error=12.  I put a corrupted
exclude.list.opt
file in the directory and received the same error.  When I replaced the
file
and stopped/started the scheduler service, then the error no longer
happened.

I use a file named: exclude.list.opt ( I only run archives, so I have to
define archive.)
A typical entry in the file:
                                exclude.archive "c:\pagefile.sys"
In the option file I have the following entry:
                                INCLEXCL "C:\Program
Files\Tivoli\TSM\Baclient\exclude.list.opt"

good luck!
Jackie