ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.2 : restore behind a firewall, with sessioninitiation s erveronly ?

2004-03-09 09:57:24
Subject: Re: TSM 5.2 : restore behind a firewall, with sessioninitiation s erveronly ?
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 08:59:41 -0600
If we are dreaming, I would love to have the function of an old backup
product we used
at another company that allowed users/helpdesk to do their own restores but
not mess up
others stuff.

<oldtimer experience> I worked on an [insert old mainframe here] that had
a great restore gui (ok, full screen on green screen terminal) that users
could use to restore things themselves.  It allowed everyone to see all
the files they had R or RW access to and to be able to restore them
anywhere they wanted that they currently have RW access to, all without
helpdesk or systems intervention.

For most users, it meant anything they could 'see', they could restore to
their home directory.  Including inactive files :) ... they could also
archive
but we never advertised this feature (and we put a 10 year limit on that
anyway).

For the helpdesk, it meant that anything that they could 'see' including
user directory, they could restore.  Kept down the calls to the 'data
management'
crew.
</oldtimer experience>

If any IBM TSM type would like to talk about this kind of feature for a
possible TSM UserGui
enhancement, give me a call :)

... JC

[Old mainframe was IBM 3090 with VM running SyncSort's SYBACK product, 10+
years ago]