ADSM-L

TSM 5.2 : restore behind a firewall, with sessioninitiation serveronly ?

2004-03-09 03:13:39
Subject: TSM 5.2 : restore behind a firewall, with sessioninitiation serveronly ?
From: PAC Brion Arnaud <Arnaud.Brion AT PANALPINA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:13:02 +0100
Hi List,

Something looking strange to me, maybe someone could better my
understanding ...
We are actually testing to possibility of performing backups from an AIX
server having TSM client 5.2, and located in our DMZ, without opening a
port in the firewall.
We successfully used the "sessioninitiation serveronly" in the client
dsm.sys, and data is now backuped.
Problem is now to restore the data, as the Backup-Archive Clients
Installation and User's Guide specifies that "By setting
sessioninitiation option to serveronly, the command line client, native
GUI, and Web client GUI cannot be used."
Does that mean that I'm unable to restore the data without opening a
port in the firewall, or is there any way performing a  server initiated
restore that I would not be aware of  ?
Please provide me some information on how you achieve this, if using the
same kind of setup ...
Thanks in advance !
Arnaud

Panalpina Management Ltd., Basle, Switzerland, CIT Department
Viadukstrasse 42, P.O. Box 4002 Basel/CH
Phone:  +41 (61) 226 11 11, FAX: +41 (61) 226 17 01
Direct: +41 (61) 226 19 78
e-mail: arnaud.brion AT panalpina DOT com