ADSM-L

Re: COPY POOL Basic Question

2004-03-04 02:33:48
Subject: Re: COPY POOL Basic Question
From: Karel Bos <Karel.Bos AT NUON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:33:12 +0100
Hi Peter,

Copy pools are used for Disaster Recovery. Disasters can be small, like
primary pool tape corruption/defects or large like complete site loss.

The small thing is most likely to hit you now and again. If you can afford
to lose back up or archive data because of tape damages than there is no
need for having the burden of defining copy pools.

Large things like site loss, I hope never to experience as an site
administrator. For that reason you have to implement a DRM plan, where the
copy pool tapes will be sent daily to a remote location.

In copy pools the same data is available as in the primary pools. You can
define one copy pool for multiple primary pools, one copy pool per primary
pool and/or multiple copy pools per primary pool. The last option will give
you the ability to have both an on-site copy pool for fast recovery of
damaged tapes and an off-site copy pool for the larger disasters. Its also
the most expensive one.

In TSM you can have all storage pools take volumes from a SCRATCH pool as
needed, or you can define a fix number of volumes defined in a specific
storage pool. The first option I like to use.

To have the primary storage pool copy its data to a copy storage pool you
need to run the process "Backup Storage Pool <primary pool name> <copy
storage pool name> maxproc=<some number>. Note: if this are all tape pools,
for one process it will mount two tapes (so you need at least 2 drives
available).

In our environment we use multiple tape pools and multiple copy pools. Our
daily ITSM housekeeping looks like this:
1) back up storage disk pool > copy pool;
2) back up storage tape pool > copy pool;
3) migrate disk pool tape pool;
4) back up storage tape pool > copy pool;
5) backup DB;
6) prepare (make DRM plan file to remote location)
7) take all copy pool volumes out off the library and sent them to a remote
location.
8) start reclamation for primary pools;
9) start reclamation for copy pools (if primary pools has finished).
10) back-up nodes.

Regard,

Karel