ADSM-L

AW: "Performing Full Client Backups with TSM"

2004-03-03 03:38:38
Subject: AW: "Performing Full Client Backups with TSM"
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:42:36 +0100
This is an evergreen.

Your customers tell you HOW you should server them
and you are only expected to implement they solutin in a tool.

1) you can accept it and let them do

a) monthly ARCHives using a management class MONTHLYARCHIVES (to be defined
by you)
b) weekle ARCHhives using a management class WEEKLYARCHIVES (to be defined
by you)
c) daily INCRementals using a DEFAULT managemnt class.

Everybody will be happy, but tha capabilities of TSM will not be used
optimally,
you will produce more bandwidth usage and full tapes as necessary.

2) If you want your custommer invest his $ optimally
ask him to tell you WHAT he needs
in contrast HOW to achieve it.
I strongly suggest definition in terms of required RESTORE possibilities.

e.g. (custommer:)

a) I need to be able o restore
any version of any file as existed on file server
during last 30 days. This is true for all files
which still exist on file server.
If a file changes more times a day, I am happy with the las
version of the day, available for backup at the night.

b) If a file is deleted on file server
it is enough to be able to restore the last and last but one version of it,
and I must be able to do in during a week following the deletion date.
further, the very last version of the deleted file has to be restorable
for extra 2 months.

c) further, I want to be able to restore all files from
directories  /finance and /legal in the very same state
they had been first monday of each month during last 7 years.

d) I do not carry about restoration of operationg system an applications,
I will re-creta them by installation instead.

e) Media fault:
I want be able to restore all files (a+b) even if a single tape
becomes destroyed. The maximum restore time penalty in such case is 2 hours.
Long-Term Backups (c) have to tolerate even 2 destroyed tapes,
time penalty allowed in this case is 2 days.

f)In case of fire in one building it is OK to loose either original files
on file servers or backup data (a+b), but not both.
It is not OK to loose long-time data (c) in case of fire in single building.
In case of fire it is tolerable not be able to restore last nights backups,
but last but 2 night backups must be available at least.

d) I understand ( or I do not want that ) I will nned TSM 7 years later in
order to be able to restore 7 years old files

e) some restore time requiremens (single file restored typically during
minutes, 1 GB during a hour)

This said, there is one additional requirement
in case (2) you are expected to understand concepts of TSM!

best regards
Juraj