ADSM-L

Re: "Performing Full Client Backups with TSM"

2004-03-02 14:47:11
Subject: Re: "Performing Full Client Backups with TSM"
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:46:40 -0700
TSM offers to basic approaches to storing data:

Backup - This provides the ability to restore your data in the event of
some disaster. Note that "disaster" can range from the small-scale case of
the accidental deletion of a single file to the large-scale case of loss
of an entire data center.

Archive - This provides for long-term storage of data, usually due to
business or regulatory agency requirements.

Archive would feasible for the monthly backup requirement. You would need
to create management classes with archive copy groups that meet the
retention requirements. Use include.archive to bind files to the desired
management class. As an alternative, you could use server generated backup
sets.

Backup would, of course, be appropriate for the daily incremental backups.
These are clearly separate from archives. Create management classes with
backup copy groups that meet the retention requirements, and use include
statements to bind files to the desired management class.

The weekly full backup requirement is still in question. In order to
arrive at a solution, it would help to understand the basis for the
requirement, i.e. what is the intended purpose of the weekly full backup?
Based on what I've read from other customer usage scenarios, weekly seems
a bit frequent for long-term retention a la archive. If the purpose is
simply to "refresh" the incrementals, then the article whose title you
cite in the subject should cover that scenario.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Karla Ross/St Louis/IBM@IBMUS
03/02/2004 12:11
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
"Performing Full Client Backups with TSM"

I read this process on the IBM web page, my question is, my customer wants
different retentions on weekly full backups, monthly full, and daily
incrementals.  Whats the recommended way to do this with TSM?

Karla Ross