ADSM-L

Netware SAN Backup

2004-02-27 07:41:13
Subject: Netware SAN Backup
From: Steven Calvert <SCalvert AT TI-WOW DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:43:40 +0000
Hello all,

An interesting question for you all here, as I'm trying to figure out how
to do a SAN backup with Netware 6.5 clients. Now there would seem to be no
Storage Agent for Netware for "proper" SAN backup, not surprising since
this is cobbled from TSM server code and there's no TSM Server for Netware.
So I thought about trying to utilise FCIP, IP protocol over fibre.

I'm using the IBM FC-2 133 adapters, AKA Qlogic's QLA2340, and IBM F08
(Brocade Silkworm) switches and I've found an NDIS driver for Windows 2000
to run both IP and FCP over the (qlogic) adapter, but for the life in me I
cannot find anything regarding FCIP and Netware. All I can find is some
mention of ODI drivers which might prove useful if one for FC adapters
exists. Does anyone have any clue as to running IP over fibre with Netware?
The only alternative is to either buy Gigabit Ethernet switches or stick
with the token ring network, both of which are options I'd want to use only
as a last resort.

Any tips, help, or sharp pointy objects gratefully recieved!

--
 Steve