ADSM-L

Re: Incremental backups

2004-02-26 12:28:53
Subject: Re: Incremental backups
From: "Robertson, G Louis (BearingPoint)" <glouisrobertson AT BEARINGPOINT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:33:37 -0600
Nicolas wrote:

        "3. What about backing up the system state of a windows 2000 server?
        Is it ok to perform "dsmc backup systemstate" or is better to use
NTBackup
        utility and save the backup file on the disk and then backup that
file with
        TSM."

I use ntbackup to backup up the systemstate because I found in earlier
versions of TSM (4.x) I had problems restoring with just the "dsmc backup
systemstate".  We have a preschedule task that does an ntbackup of the
systemstate prior to our incremental backups.  Here is the syntax I use:
ntbackup backup systemstate /f "C:\Srvutils\Systemstate.bkf" /m copy

Louis

G Louis Robertson
Senior Systems Analyst

BearingPoint
glouisrobertson AT BearingPoint DOT net
Cell (717) 903-1324
Fax (717) 213-6101

privileged.  Access to this email by anyone other than the
intended addressee is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended
recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken
in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not
the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this
message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments,
and any copies thereof from your system.