ADSM-L

Things I could just as soon never ever ever see again.

2004-02-26 11:31:11
Subject: Things I could just as soon never ever ever see again.
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:30:49 -0500
Ever ever.  As long as I live.

This turned out OK, but still....

bash-2.04# cd /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/
bash-2.04# dsmserv extend log /export/dat03/emergency-log 2000

ANR7800I DSMSERV generated at 14:00:40 on Mar 14 2003.
[...]

ANR0900I Processing options file dsmserv.opt.
ANR7811I Direct I/O will be used for all eligible disk files.
ANR4726I The Async I/O support module has been loaded.
ANR7805E Volume /dev/rtsmdblv12a is in use by another server.
ANR7805E Volume /dev/rtsmdblv12b is in use by another server.
ANR0259E Unable to read complete restart/checkpoint information from any
database or recovery log volume.
bash-2.04#

Shudder.

I had an out-of-recovery-log condition, slew my server, formatted a volume,
set about extending the log, and evidently restarted a smidge before all the
tentacles were removed.

I stared at this for about 10 seconds, heart palpitating, took a deep breath,
and ran it again.  And it worked.

Database backup encountered an unusually vigorous expiration session,
kablooey.  My log use usually climbs into the 30-50% at that phase of the day,
but today it was deleting almost everything it came across, almost a million
objects the last time I'd looked at it.

What fun!

- Allen S. Rout
- Ever Ever.