ADSM-L

TSM Space Management (HSM) on zOS

2004-02-26 10:58:05
Subject: TSM Space Management (HSM) on zOS
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:57:20 -0500
> I have just been in contact with a VAR that remarkets TSM.  The staffer
> there is telling me that "you can license and run Space Management on any
> server except for
> zSeries or S/390."
>
> Now, we are running Space Management (HSM) on TSM 5.1.1.6 server on OS/390
> servicing AIX clients of various versions.  Are we doing something
> unsupported?  Anyone else out there running HSM on a OS/390 or z/OS server?

We have a 5.1.7.2 server under OS/390 2.10 supporting an AIX space
management client. The function is clearly supported, since the syntax
for the 'register license' command includes specific provisions for
licensing space management. I took a quick look at the 5.2.2.2
documentation and found that the 'register license' command still
provides for space management licensing at that release level.