ADSM-L

TSM Operational Reporting - some answers...

2004-02-19 13:46:17
Subject: TSM Operational Reporting - some answers...
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:45:39 +0000
Hi Lawrence,

TSM Operational Reporting is, in itself, self-contained. No
DB2/Oracle/obscure-COTS/Tivoli Framework required, all you need is a TSM
Server somewhere to point it at. It's a doddle to install, no really, it
is. From double clicking the install file to getting some genuinely
useful reports in less than 15 minutes.

In terms of limitations, I think I read somewhere that as of the GA
release, you cannot actually install TSM Operational Reporting on a TSM
Server - it has to be a separate box somewhere, and it has to be
installed in a Windows 2000 or above server (i.e. not NT4). I have it
running on a very low powered workstation at the moment, and it does its
job just fine.

What you refer to below is an 'extra', in that if you *want* you can
output logs to a logfile, and have a Tivoli Logfile Adapter scrape the
log and forward on any pertinent events (such as tape drives going
offline, client schedules missed etc) onto a TEC console should you so
wish. Certainly not a prerequisite.

As for location, you can download the latest GA version (v. 5.2.2.0)
from :

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/tivoli-storage-management/maintena
nce/server/v5r2/WIN/LATEST/

where you'll see the, okay, slightly non-immediately-obviously-named
file TSMCON5220_WIN.EXE which is about 10MB and is all you'll need. This
file is also available on the Windows TSM Server CD, I just don't
remember where or how off the top of my head.

Hope that helps people - seems to have been a little confusion over the
product in the past. I have it reporting on 8 TSM servers at the moment,
one of it's main uses is to run some custom SQL reports and dump these
out to a web server so that our TSM backup 'customers' can see for
themselves that their precious servers did (or didn't...) backup up
overnight. This product is *so* much better than TDS for SMA, which was,
for me, a nightmare in so many senses.

David McClelland
Tivoli Certified Consultant
Global Management Systems
Reuters
85 Fleet Street
London EC4P 4AJ

E-mail  david.mcclelland AT reuters DOT com