ADSM-L

Re: Stgpool backup script

2004-02-16 18:56:09
Subject: Re: Stgpool backup script
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:10:08 -0500
=> In article <s02ce7e9.070 AT gwise.louisville DOT edu>, David E Ehresman
<deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU> writes:

>> Why not just kick off all the work you need to do?

> Because I have an obligation to keep at least one tape drive free for
> restores and/or ad hoc backups.

I'm jealous; I haven't had enough tapes to do this for a long time.

> And also so I know when a set of processes have ended so that I can start
> the next job in the daily processes stream, i.e. backup stg disks, backup
> stg tapes, backup db, dr plan, eject tapes for offsite, migration,
> expiration, followed by reclaims and move data.

.. Well, if you don't need to keep a drive free, then these problems are
solved the same way: Stack up the processes.

We meet the restore need by watching the sessions periodically with human eyes
instead of scripts: If a restore gears up then we clear a drive.

The backups aren't an issue: we write data to disk first, so adhoc backups
just accumulate until the next morning's maintainance stuff.

- Allen S. Rout