ADSM-L

Re: checkin tapes to 3494 tape library

2004-02-14 19:09:15
Subject: Re: checkin tapes to 3494 tape library
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:02:46 -0500
>I have TSM 5.1.5 on AIX 4.3.3
>when I try to checkin tapes on the TSM using checkin command, it takes a
>long time to checkin one tape and this will make a timeout for the other
>tapes checkin although the timeout is 60 minutes.
>
>Does any one know how can I decrease the checkin time with more than one
>tape or why it is taking this long time to checkin one tape?

Your posting doesn't give us the context of the operation: Are these
data-laden stgpool tapes that you are returning to the library, or new
3590 tapes...where LABEl LIBVolume should be done rather than Checkin?
(You should never depend upon tape vendors pre-labeling tapes; and in
any case it is optimal to have the 3590 VCR data reset under your
prevailing tape drive firmware levels.)

We don't know the form of the Checkin command you used, but presumably
included CHECKLabel=Yes.  "a long time" is not very precise...how many
minutes?  Have you done Query Mount to see if drives are free to service
the Checkin, or is it being done at a time when drives are busy with other
sessions and processes?  Is this kind of tape handling delay evident in
other TSM daily operations?  Does the TSM Activity Log reflect waiting
for drives to be available to the process, or the AIX Error Log show
drive problems?  If drives are free and Online (Query Drives), it is best
to be at the 3494 and observe what is actually happening as a tape is being
processed: you may be encountering a drive which is having mechanical
problems with load or unload.  You might also check that your tape drive
firmware is recent, as it affects the mechanical handling of tapes.  I
would also strive to have your TSM server up to 5.1.7 level, or later,
to pick up a lot of intervening fixes.

  Richard Sims,  http://people.bu.edu/rbs