ADSM-L

Re: Solaris backup performance

2004-02-13 13:46:44
Subject: Re: Solaris backup performance
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:45:59 -0700
        Bill,
        It sounds like we are fighting a similar problem. We upgraded
the last of our TSM servers from AIX4.3.3/TSM5.1.1.0 to
AIX5.2ML2/TSM5.2.1.3 on Tuesday.  This TSM server has the largest load
of our servers. Both the TSM server and this particular client have GB
interfaces (the Solaris host has a SysKonnect GB interface).

        We are having ~very~ serious problems as a 1.5TB database backup
from the Solaris host has doubled in the time it takes to get done. We
too see the RecW on the sessions which is atypical. We are sweating
bullets, and I have opened calls with IBM (for the OS) and Tivoli, but
have yet to get a resolution.

        We have the Solaris client push the data to the TSM server in 6
threads, each of these threads goes directly to a 3595 tape drive. So a
real blast of data from one client. Before the upgrade we were hitting
almost 70MB/second, but now we flatline at about 45MB/second. We did not
have jumbo frames on, just a regular 1500 MTU size.

        Since we upgraded both the OS and the TSM server at the same
time, we are unsure of which changed introduced the problem. At this
point, my gut feeling is that the OS somehow cannot run packets through
the TCP stack as fast as before. With an "entstat -d en? " command on
the TSM GB interface, I see many many "No Resource errors" being logged
when the GB is running hard. IBM network support says that those errors
may be caused by the application not handling the packets from the TCP
stack properly.

        Just as I was composing this, we turned on Jumbo frames on the
TSM server, the switches in between and on the client. Our 6-thread push
is now running almost as fast as before, but we are still getting those
"No resource errors" on the TSM GB interface.

        My feeling is still an OS problem with the TCP stack when it is
being pushed hard.

        Ben