ADSM-L

Re: Client/Server Expiration Problem (long post)

2004-02-12 13:01:39
Subject: Re: Client/Server Expiration Problem (long post)
From: "Gretchen L. Thiele" <gretchen AT PRINCETON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:00:12 -0500
Hi Andy,

That's what I'm doing, but I'm not seeing the results that you are.
I do notice that there is a difference in the servers we are both
using, yours is v5.2.0.0 (Windows) and mine is v5.2.2.1 (AIX).

What your output shows is exactly what I want to happen... either
a problem with the platform or the version?

Andrew Raibeck wrote:

OK, I'm probably missing something in what you are saying, but I still
don't understand. Excluded files are expired during regular (full)
incremental backup processing. Nothing has changed in that regard. Using
EXPIRE has the same effect as EXCLUDE: The files are expired on the TSM
server and managed per criteria as deleted files (i.e. subject to
VERDELETED, RETEXTRA, and RETONLY).

I've attached sample data for directory c:\amrtest. The steps I performed
are as follows:

a) Ran QUERY BACKUP to show the existing active and inactive versions.

b) Defined a client option set that contains an EXCLUDE.DIR statement for
c:\amrtest (not shown here).

c) Ran INCREMENTAL. Note the expiring files.

d) Repeat (a) above. This time note that there are fewer versions (VERE=5,
VERD=2). All versions are inactive and will expire per management class
criteria.

Is there anything here that does not accomplish what you wish? By the way,
the EXPIRE command would do the same thing: leave the 2 versions due to
VERDELETED, which will expire based on RETEXTRA and RETONLY value.

Gretchen Thiele
Princeton University