ADSM-L

Best Practice to Restore file system at DR

2004-02-12 12:29:41
Subject: Best Practice to Restore file system at DR
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:28:51 -0500
Hello everyone!

I am trying to come up with the fastest/best method of restoring a file
system for a solaris 5.8 client.  Currently their offsite data is stored on
Magstar 3590B's and they share the offsite copy pool with approximately 35
other client servers.  I am looking into the possibility of adding another
hierarchy of storage for a new disk pool, sequential and offsite tape pool
for the 10 servers that need their /p01 file system collocated in the
offsite tape pool.  I know that it isn't recommended to make an offsite
tape pool collocated due to the increase in use of tapes and also
reclamation for that offsite tape pool, but I'm not sure what else I can do
for them in order to considerably increase their restore times.  The TSM
server is at level 5.1.6.2 on os/390 2.10, but will be moving shortly to an
AIX platform at TSM 5.2.2 level.

I have considered doing a selective backup of the /P01 file system,
backupsets, imagebackups and snapshots of their disk.

Does anyone have any suggestions or best practice for their data?  Does
anyone do offsite collocation for a small group of servers single file
system?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Joni Moyer
Highmark