ADSM-L

Question on Restoration from DBSNAPSHOT

2004-02-12 11:07:20
Subject: Question on Restoration from DBSNAPSHOT
From: "Johnson, Milton [IT]" <milton.johnson AT CITIGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:05:51 -0500
All,

     TSM: Storage Management Server for AIX-RS/6000 - Version 4, Release 2,
Level 1.7
      OS: AIX 4.3.3 ML 9
Log Mode: RollForward
          (Upgrade project planned in near future, but that's another story)

Everyday I do a full backup of the database to 3590E tape, immediately
followed by a DBSNAPSHOT to a file on disk.  The 3590E tape promptly goes
offsite.  My question is if I experience a loss of the database can I then
restore from the DBSNAPSHOT and recover to the point of failure using the
RECOVERY LOG?  I would like to avoid the time delay of returning the 3590E
tape, containing the database backup, from the vault.

Anyone done this?

Thanks,
H. Milton Johnson
UNIX Systems Administrator - USCC San Antonio, TX
Email: milton.johnson AT citigroup DOT com