ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Oracle and TSM

2004-02-09 09:41:01
Subject: Re: TDP for Oracle and TSM
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 09:37:24 -0500
Short answer is that RMAN does the deletes.  You have to have DBA setup an RMAN
script to do this.  Ideally run it daily and you won't have your tapes consumed
by the undeleted data.  You probably need to be at least at Oracle 8.1.7.4 or
so as earlier versions had problems deleting etc.  Your DBA should check this.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> tsmadmin AT VODACOM.CO DOT ZA 02/09/04 09:35AM >>>
Hi

I am running TDP for Oracle Version 2.2.1 on an AIX server.
Current version of Oracle is version 8
We are using RMAN to backup the database to TSM.

My question is using RMAN how does one delete/expire the data out of TSM.
Using the RMAN option I have specified the following for the co group.

Versions Versions   Retain  Retain
Data     Data       Extra    Only
Exists   Deleted    Versions Version

  1        0          0          0

Thks
Sean

"This e-mail is sent on the Terms and Conditions that can be accessed by
Clicking on this link http://www.vodacom.net/legal/email.asp "

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.