ADSM-L

Re: Using Veritas Quick I/O on your TSM Server

2004-02-07 06:03:10
Subject: Re: Using Veritas Quick I/O on your TSM Server
From: "Stanley, Jon" <Jon.Stanley AT SAVVIS DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 00:24:16 -0600
Don't know anything about Quick I/O, but we have several Solaris TSM
servers that used to use filesystem volumes (on a VxFS filesystem) for
database, disk pool, and recovery log.  Upon implementing the
recommendation to switch to raw volumes (we did volumes under VxVM
control, but with no filesystems on them - just using
/dev/vx/rdsk/tsmdg/<volname> as the volumes inside TSM), and noticed a
*SUBSTANTIAL* performance increase - for instance expiration ran through
to completion for the first time in *YEARS*.  Not sure about the backup
performance though - it is fairly good, though.

Therefore, my recommendation from experience  is to use raw volumes, and
not any fancy Quick I/O garbage.

-Jon