ADSM-L

Using Veritas Quick I/O on your TSM Server

2004-02-06 23:42:27
Subject: Using Veritas Quick I/O on your TSM Server
From: Forrest Payne <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 20:26:49 -0800
We are running TSM V5.2.2.1 for Solaris on a Solaris 2.8 server. I am not a
Unix admin. The Unix support team loaded and licensed Veritas Quick I/O.
According to the TSM Performance tuning guide you either want to use Quick I/O
or RAW volumes when defining DB, LOG, or Disk pool volumes on Solaris. Because
our Oracle Administrators use Quick I/O we decided to use it on our TSM server.
I was under the assumption that all you have to do is install Quick I/O and
everything will be faster. Due to the fact that we are currently getting
extremely poor performance when backing up to disk as opposed to tape I believe
there must be more we have to do in order to get the bennifits of Quick I/O.

Is anyone out there running TSM on a Solaris Server using Quick I/O? If so what
did you have to do in order to get Quick I/O to speed things up?