ADSM-L

Re: MAX_IO_SIZE on AIX

2004-02-05 20:14:24
Subject: Re: MAX_IO_SIZE on AIX
From: "Harris, Jason (DIS)" <JasonH AT DIS.WA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:14:02 -0800
Hello Balanand,

There is no parameter per se in Solaris 8 & 9 (the ones that I use).  But
there are several parameters in Solaris that relate to # of bytes which can
be read in a single I/O call.

The maxphys kernel parameter limits I/O in the SCSI layer within the kernel.
Default is 128k.

We are using Solaris Volume manager; within the SVM layer there is a
md_maxphys kernel module parameter that limits within that subsystem.  If
not specified then it defaults to maxphys.   There is a corresponding
parameter if you are using Veritas volume manager, but I am not sure what it
is vxd_maxphys   or something.   Can someone else confirm ?

SD (scsi) devices used the cd module and they describe a sd_max_xfer_size
parameter that limits max I/O size within that type of device.  Default is
1MB

SSD (fibre channel scsi) devices used the cd module and they describe a
ssd_max_xfer_size parameter that limits max I/O size within that type of
device.  Default is 1MB

Hope this helps..

Jason Harris