ADSM-L

checkin <vol> checklabel=barcode search=bulk

2004-02-04 09:15:26
Subject: checkin <vol> checklabel=barcode search=bulk
From: "Marcel J.E. Mol" <marcel AT MESA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:14:50 +0100
Hello,

I have an issue with the TSM checkin facility.

I have this 3584 library with 10 slot ioport (bulk).  The library
is split in 2 logicals. So the bulk can have tapes from both
logical libraries. (eg operators returning tapes and don't know what
tapes belong to which librarie so just put them all i the bulk).

Now I want to checkin the volumes known to TSM DRM (vaultretrieve)
volume by volume by just checking the barcode on the volume.  I
would want to run something like:

     checkin libv 3584lib <volume> checklabel=barcode search=bulk

So just tell TSM to scan the bulk for the specified volume and check
it in without checking the label using a tapedrive. And preferably
also without putting out a request to insert the volume in the bulk.

But:

tsm: > checkin libv 3584lib 100288   checklabel=barcode search=bulk
ANR2020E CHECKIN LIBVOLUME: Invalid parameter - SEARCH.
ANS8001I Return code 3.

(Ok, 'help checkin libv' shows that this is not valid syntax.)

All I can do is

   checkin libv 3584lib 100288  checklabel=yes

But now TSM request me specifically to put the volume in the top
slot of the bulk and reply to a request, after which TSM will put
the volume checks the label using a drive. (I could use checklabel=no
but then TSM just picks whatever in is the top bulk slot and assumes
it is the specified volume).

As the operator puts in many volumes in the bulk I have to move then
to the top slot one by one.

Do I overlook something or should this be filed as an enhancement
request?

TSM server 5.1.8 and 5.2 on AIX 5.1.

Thanks,

-Marcel