ADSM-L

Re: TDP for MS SQL and cached storage pools

2004-02-02 11:06:52
Subject: Re: TDP for MS SQL and cached storage pools
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:59:47 -0500
Steve,

It doesn't work quite like that.
Client applications do not have access to those TSM Server "statistics".
A TSM client tells the TSM Server that it wants to back up an object that
has a certain estimated size. The TSM Server then accepts or rejects
the object creation based upon the estimated size of the object to create.

There is a knowledge base article written to explain how caching can
sometimes cause issues with preallocation. You are more likely to see this

caching issue occur with the Data Protection clients because they tend to
send very large objects.

To read more about why this might be happening,
go to http:\\www.ibm.com and search for:

   "ANS1311E (RC11) server out of storage space"

Del