ADSM-L

Re: Sysback and 32-bit client

2004-01-30 19:04:36
Subject: Re: Sysback and 32-bit client
From: Paul Ripke <stix AT STIX.HOMEUNIX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 11:03:29 +1100
From my experience, the whole 32 bit vs 64 bit thing on AIX comes down
to what the process is doing. For Oracle, 64 bit makes sense on a large
memory system, since you can then throw heaps of RAM at its SGA, and
hopefully experience a higher cache hit ratio. For something like TSM
client, the performance difference between 32 and 64 bit should be
fairly
minimal. Even for the AIX kernel, IBM recommends running 32 bit unless
you have more than 16 GB of RAM (not sure where the reference is for
that). Indeed, some processes will even slow down going from 32 bit
to 64 bit. Also, 64 bit applications are often about 30% larger than
their 32 bit counterparts, which, in itself, means a performance hit.

On Friday, Jan 30, 2004, at 04:30 Australia/Sydney, David E Ehresman