ADSM-L

TSM best practices manual?

2004-01-28 10:11:42
Subject: TSM best practices manual?
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:10:51 -0600
TSM 5.1.7 on AIX 4.3.3
9 TB online, total of 24 TB managed.

Our TSM tape libraries are nearing their capacity.  Currently we're
running a fairly simple TSM system, using little of the new functionality
introduced since V 3.1.  We backup to onsite tape and make copies to a
copypool whose tapes are vaulted offsite.  That's pretty much the entire
system.

Our current tape library fleet consists of a 3583-L72 (LTO-1), two 3575s
(and L12 and an L18), an HP SureStore 4/40 (DLT 8000), and an HPaq MSL5026
(DLT 8000).  Before we spend $60-80K  - or more - on another tape library,
I'd like to review the system's architecture to see if there is another
path we can go.

I've been through the TSM Admin Guide and Technical Guide, but what I'm
really looking for is a description of current best practices regarding
TSM system design.  Is there another document that would present that info
better?

TIA

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator