ADSM-L

TSM and Shark disk

2004-01-26 14:46:22
Subject: TSM and Shark disk
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:45:52 -0500
p630 server running AIX 5.2 ML2
TSM 5.2.2.0
2109-S16 fibre switches

When running dsmfmt on the volumes on Shark disk, the system runs at very
high wait cpu %. at times it will jump over 90% and the system will become
unresponsive for several seconds. When the dsmfmt completes, topas will
still show 5-8mb/sec on the Shark paths for almost another minute. Nothing
is running.

When I do the same formats within TSM (formatsize=x) on the def vol command
the system doesn't seem to push the Shark paths as high and we never see the
unresponsive times, but still the system sits at 45-50% wait cpu time.

Anyone had strange performance issues using Shark and TSM on pServers?

Bill Boyer
"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield." - ??