ADSM-L

Re: Cartridge Estimated capacity

2004-01-22 12:02:57
Subject: Re: Cartridge Estimated capacity
From: Tony Morgan <TONY.MORGAN AT FORTISBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:02:13 +0100
Hi Robert,

Its all down to how well the data is compressed by the drive....
from your details I would say you have some medium sized databases which are
backed up and compressed, some zip files that are already compressed to the
limit and lots of text files in one place that can be compressed by up to
80%.

If all your tapes were storing 120GB or more, I would have suggested that
you should experiment with compression at source to free off some network
bandwidth.

It all looks normal to me... Don't worry!
(BTW: I have a couple of Scalar100's and an LTO library with very similar
results)

If you have lots of free time, you could set up different backups for
different data types/locations based on compressability, then compress some
at source.... personally I am too busy!!

Rgds.Tony