ADSM-L

Re: Open File Support for Windows 2003 (Was Userprofile Backup wi t h Windows2003 and TSM 5.2)

2004-01-21 15:29:03
Subject: Re: Open File Support for Windows 2003 (Was Userprofile Backup wi t h Windows2003 and TSM 5.2)
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:28:39 -0600
From: Prather, Wanda [mailto:Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU]
>THANK YOU for this information, it is very important to us.

It seems Tivoli has never been interested in marketing TSM for backing up
workstations (which REQUIRES the ability to recover user profiles).<

Good point, Wanda. Most customers don't give a flip about restoring a server's
user profiles, since most servers use the default user profile, which is
rebuilt when you reinstall the OS.

However, I will say that TSM is not the only backup/recovery system that has a
hard time with user profiles. NetWorker suffers from the same problem.

It seems to me with older TSM clients that the only user profile that doesn't
backup is the one used by the logon(s) that is/are active during the backup.
Does anyone still find this true?