ADSM-L

LAN-Free backups - minimum file size recommendation?

2004-01-21 11:50:43
Subject: LAN-Free backups - minimum file size recommendation?
From: Ted Byrne <ted.byrne AT ADELPHIA DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:49:28 -0500
Does anyone know what the recommended minimum size for sending backups
across the SAN is?  I'm trying to come up with a solution to integrate the
backup of DB and non-DB files on two AIX servers.  Currently, the DB files
are backed up after the db is shut down, using one node name, and the
remainder of files are backed up using a different nodename.

What I would like to is to set a maxsize on the disk stgpool that is the
copygroup destination for the default mgmtclass to cause the large files to
go to the NEXT stgpool, which would be SAN-attached tape.   I'd like to
make the best utilization of both SAN and LAN throughput as we
can.  Unfortunately, we do not have a test environment where we can
experiment.  The production AIX servers are tightly controlled, and we have
only a small maintenance window late in the night over the weekend that we
can do any work in (including getting the weekly backup done...)

One additional need - I'd like to increase the resourceutilization option,
but the backups can't go to more than one tape drive each.  Will setting
maxnummp to 1 potentially cause the backup to fail because multiple
sessions might try to mount a tape (because of the maxsize setting)?

Or are we better off sticking with the segregated scheme that we are using now?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Ted