ADSM-L

Re: TSM Journaling

2004-01-21 05:52:31
Subject: Re: TSM Journaling
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:51:56 +0000
Hi Sam,

A few things to look out for when running TSM journaling:

O - You'll need to complete a normal incremental backup after having
enabled journaling (i.e. the tsmjbbd.exe process is running all the
time). Subsequent backups should then be journaled.

O - In your next incremental backup, you'll see in the standard output
at the top something similar to 'Using journal for G$'

O - After the backup has completed, checking the summary should reveal
that the 'objects inspected' number has decreased to a figure very close
to the 'objects backed up' number, as opposed to the huge number of
files you may actually have on the filesystem. This is because TSM now
only 'inspects' those files which the TSM journaling engine has made a
log of as having changed.

O - Haven't seen anything really in terms of additional load using
journaling (though keep an eye on the disk space the journaling log is
taking up - up to 2GB I think, though you can change the location and
limit the size), certainly it's much better than having a hungry
dsmc.exe process running for hours and hours. I'm now seeing backups
that used to take anything up to 20 hours finish in 30 minutes.

O - We've upped to TSM 5.1.6.7 client level for journaling nodes.

Hope this helps.

David McClelland
Management Systems Integrator
Global Management Systems