ADSM-L

Re: Export / Import

2004-01-12 10:47:20
Subject: Re: Export / Import
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:46:51 -0500
When I have done server-to-server EXPORT/IMPORT to servers with incompatible
media types, there were some differences in the logical/physical space
occupied on the target server.  I assume that was due to differences in how
blocks are formatted with the different media, because testing restores
worked fine, and I got exactly the same number of files on the source and
target servers.

But your results are more disturbing, because the number of FILES is
different on the source and target server.  Clearly there are files (or
objects) missing.

Some things to check that can affect the number of files after an IMPORT:

1) Did you specify ALLDATA or ALLACTIVE on your EXPORT NODE command?

2) Are ALL management classes/copy groups EXACTLY the same on the source and
target server, including the management class the directories will bind to?
If not, repeat the IMPORT with them EXACTLY the same.

3) Did EXPIRATION run on the target server before you took these statistics,
possibly deleting a lot of files?

4) Did you ever run CLEAN BACKUPGROUPS on your 4.2.x server? If not, (and
you backup WIn2K clients) I wonder if there are some  "dead/disconnected"
files that were not really accessible and therefore did not export.

If you check all those things and still have no answer, what I would do is
pick a couple of filespaces, run SELECT to dump the contents of the BACKUPS
table for each of those filespaces, and write a script to compare the two.
That should give you an idea of which files are missing from the target
server.

If the results still don't make sense, I would open a PMR with IBM.