ADSM-L

Re: Taking an end-of-year snapshot

2004-01-08 10:57:58
Subject: Re: Taking an end-of-year snapshot
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:57:33 -0500
>What I want to do is to take an snapshot of our TSM data as it was at end
>of year 1/1/04 and archive it away for 10 years. ...

This kind of requirement begs a lot of questions, as it tends to be one of those
very vague management ideas which receives too little thought from the decision
makers.

- With organizations typically having terabytes of data in storage, does mgmt
  really expect to "snapshot" it in less than a day?

- Are they imposing this requirement on a backup-restore system which has not
been
  configured technologically to accommodate this huge incongruity in operation?

- Do they have a clear idea of what they would later do with such snapshotted
  data (which drives a requirement for reintroduction of the data), or is this
  just a "warm feeling" exercise?

- Do they realize that the hardware and software technology which produces such
  a snapshot today may no longer exist 10 years hence?

There are a lot of implications to approaching an initiative like this.  A
Dilbert
boss spur of the moment (i.e., after the first of the year has passed) assigned
task of somehow making a snapshot of everything just doesn't cut it.

    Just commiserating amongst us technicians,  Richard Sims  BU