ADSM-L

Library upgrade 3583 -> 3584

2004-01-06 01:54:50
Subject: Library upgrade 3583 -> 3584
From: Jurjen Oskam <jurjen-tsm AT STUPENDOUS DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 07:54:27 +0100
Hi there,

Recently we bought an 3584 library to replace our 3583 library. The 3583
library is LTO1 SCSI-attached, the 3584 is all LTO2 fiber-attached. I have
already connected the 3584 to the AIX machine that is our TSM server,
and made the library and drives available to TSM. I have checked in (as
scratch) and labelled empty LTO2 media in the 3584.

So, at this moment, our TSM server has two libraries (and corresponding
drives) defined. All the normal work still happens in the old library,
while the new one isn't doing anything yet.

My plan is to:

* make sure each LTO storage pool can define enough scratch tapes
* take all drives in the old library offline
* check out all LTO1 media from the old library
* turn on the hardware write-protect switch on all LTO1 media
* check in all LTO1 media in the new library
* set ACCESS=READONLY on the LTO1 media (is this actually necessary with
  the physical hardware write protection turned on?)
* update the DEVCLASS entry to now point to the new library
* gradually do MOVE DATA on LTO1 volumes to migrate to LTO2 media

The intention is to start using the new library and migrate away from
LTO1 media soon-ish. Is the above plan a good way to accomplish that?

Also, the devclass for the new library will have FORMAT=ULTRIUM2C. Will
this cause any problems when a drive gets an LTO1 tape?

Thanks,
--
Jurjen Oskam

PGP Key available at http://www.stupendous.org/