ADSM-L

Do I need a hub for LTO2 drives in my 3584 Library ?

2003-12-30 05:08:16
Subject: Do I need a hub for LTO2 drives in my 3584 Library ?
From: Sam Johnson <Sam.Johnson AT FERNUNI-HAGEN DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:52:50 +0100
I have installed an IBM 3584-L32 Library with 3 FC LTO2 drives. I assumed that
since the drives are FC-AL, I could attach them to a single FC HBA in my TSM
Server,
but my reseller say I need a switch, and the IBM Redbook "The IBM LTO Ultrium
Tape Libraries Guide"  (SG24-5946) states:

         The device can be attached directly to SAN switches or FC-AL hubs.

Ignoring the questions of availabilty and performance, why can't I
simple connect the first drive to my server, the second to the first,
and the third to the second ?

Sam Johnson                             Sam.Johnson AT FernUni-Hagen DOT de
FernUniversitaet                        Phone: +49-2331-987-2874,-2799
58084 Hagen, Germany                    Fax:   +49-2331-987-2720