ADSM-L

Re: Anyone running TSM on Linux

2003-12-15 09:09:41
Subject: Re: Anyone running TSM on Linux
From: Patrick Boutilier <boutilpj AT EDNET.NS DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:09:03 -0400
We are using 5.2.1.x on RedHat 8.0 . We were using RedHat 7.2 since it
is supported in versions up to 5.1.7.x but I could not upgrade from
5.1.6.x to 5.1.7.x or 5.2.x.x because none of my NFS mounted volumes
would vary online. I kept getting this error for all my volumes.

/var/tsm/tsmnfs5/backup13/netwaredisk240.dsm is in use by another server

Been running smooth on RedHat 8.0 though. And I could upgrade TSM
version after upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to 8.0 :-)

Kevin Godfrey wrote:
I have a test server running on Red Hat 9. It is very stable, even though my
particular version of Red Hat is not officially supported by IBM.
Performance is at least as good as on a similar spec'd production machine
running Windows 2000 Server. The only difference that I have noticed is that
formatting disk volumes always seems to go faster on Windows than *nix - can
anyone explain why? Alas I have only DASD available for storage in the Linux
machine so I can't commit on the tape drives you mentioned. Also, I've had
no need (as yet ;-) to call support, but I guess it's as good as IBM support
usually is. No reason to expect any different, especially taking into
account IBM's focus on Linux. Or did you mean device/kernel support? I found
a list of that on the 'net:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=swg21107360

Kind regards

Kevin Godfrey (IT Support)
Caths Co. U.K.

Hello all -

We currently have TSM running on Solaris and have had it for about 6 years
now.  We are thinking about switching to Linux - Does anyone have answers
to the following:

1. Anyone running TSM on Red Hat Linux AS 2.1?
2. Anyone running TSM on a X360?
3. How is the performance, stability?
4. How is the TSM support for Linux?
5. TSM on Red Hat with AIT2 or AIT3 tape drives?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!