ADSM-L

Re: Damage tape again .....

2003-12-10 07:52:40
Subject: Re: Damage tape again .....
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 07:52:16 -0500
>>I need to be sure about the correct steps to manage a damage tape and the
>>fastest way:
>>
>>   1. Did I need to make a MOVE DATA and AUDIT VOL fix=yes instead to do
>>right away  a RESTORE VOL  from the copypool (I think I will gain time ...)
>>and a DEL VOL of the damage tape.

>1. No, you don't have to do the move data first.  You might not even have
>the original tape if it were lost or broken. Before you do the restore
>volume, you must mark it destroyed, however.  ...

Let us once and for all dispense with the seemingly self-propagating myth
that a tape must be marked Destroyed before running Restore Volume.  The
command description clearly states:

  "This command changes the access mode of the specified volumes to DESTROYED."

Let's not confuse the folks new to TSM, who have enough difficult detail to
absorb.

     thanks,  Richard Sims, BU