ADSM-L

3590H1A SAN Failover

2003-12-09 17:07:27
Subject: 3590H1A SAN Failover
From: Mahesh Tailor <mahesh.tailor AT NETWORK.CARILION DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:07:05 -0500
Hello, everyone!

Here's what I got:

Server: pSeries 6M1
OS: AIX 4.3.3.10
Atape version: 8.3.6.0
ITSM: 5.1.6.4
Library: IBM 3494 w/8 3590H1A-FC drives
SAN Switches: Cisco MDS 9216 fw:1.2(2A)

fcs1 adapter is attached to SW-A.  fcs2 is attached to SW-B.
rmt8 is attached to SW-A (port 0 on 3590 drive) and SW-B (port 1 on 3590
drive).

In AIX the drive is configured for alternate pathing and shows up as
follows.

rmt8  Available 7A-08-01-PRI IBM 3590 Tape Drive and Medium Changer(FCP)
rmt81 Available 71-08-01-ALT IBM 3590 Tape Drive and Medium Changer(FCP)

[BTW, rmt81 after doing rmdev -l rmt9 ; chdev -l rmt9 -a
new_name=rmt81.]

This all works fine.  But to test the configuration I started a full DB
backup and then did the following:

1) after the DB backup process started writing to the tape, I pulled out
the fiber attached to port 0 of the drive. The DB backup stopped and
failed.  I reattached the fiber.

2) after the DB backup process started writing to the tape, I pulled out
the fiber on fcs1.  The DB backup paused and then after a few seconds
continued and completed successfully.  I reattached the fiber.

So, I was wondering if I am missing something to make the first scenario
not successful?  Any insight would be appreciated.

TIA

Mahesh