ADSM-L

Re: SV: TSM and VMWARE

2003-12-05 03:23:59
Subject: Re: SV: TSM and VMWARE
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:22:47 +0100
Hi Christian

You only pay for the PHYSICAL cpu:s in the machine(the processors
installed physically in the machine).

For example, we've got a customer running two Unisys servers, each
equipped with 24 cpus:s. On theese Unisys machines, he's got multiple
VMWare instances running. The customer only needs("only") to pay for 2 *
24 cpu:s, independent of how many VMWare instances hes running.

This is good if you're only running fileservers(Backup/Archive clients).
However, one day, the customer decided to install a SQL cluster in on of
the VMWare instances(clustered between the two Unisys machines). Here's
the catch: the SQL server only consumes about 2-3 processors. However, the
customer still needs to buy 2 * 24 TDP for SQL cpu licenses. This means,
running an SQL within an VMWare instance, means the customer has to buy 48
TDP for SQL licences(which are not cheap).

The customers nightmare will be one day when he decides to install an
Oracle cluster on the Unisys machines. That will mean he'll need to buy 48
TDP for SQL cpu licenses. In the longterm, this means that the customer
has bought 48 B/A client licenses, 48 TDP for SQL client licenses and 48
TDP for Oracle licenses. Thats cheap....

Sometimes it's good to consolidate, sometimes it isnt...

And I'd like to see the machine running 500 VMWare instances.... Despite
the fact that theese large machines can run a high load, it doesnt mean
you can consolidate all your servers onto one machine...

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

Christian Svensson <christian.svensson AT CRISTIE DOT SE>
2003-12-03 17:25