ADSM-L

Re: point in time restore

2003-12-04 07:37:29
Subject: Re: point in time restore
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 06:24:35 -0600
Morning Geoff,
      -pitdate=  & -pittime=    should be the two options to get you where
you want to be.
The only thing I can think of that would result in more allocated space
being restored than the file system can handle would be if there was a lot
of HSM migrated data from the file system and TSM is bringing back the
actual files rather then just the stub file.
Oh, well, one other thing maybe...
      that generally is against the rules of tsm
      say you have a file system /folks
      and under that you have directories /folks/bob  /folks/dick  &
/folks/jane
      and Susan wants in but has excessive files so she gets her own file
system mounted at /folks/susan
      ~maybe~ it the user is trying to restore the files for filesystem
/folks/susan (which isn't actually, currently mounted)
            so the files are going into the directory /folks/susan which is
under the filesystem /folks
just a thought...

Dwight

                      "Gill, Geoffrey
                      L."                      To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      <GEOFFREY.L.GILL@        cc:
                      SAIC.COM>                Subject:  point in time restore
                      Sent by: "ADSM:
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      12/03/2003 10:06
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hello all,

I can't answer this question because I have never had to use a point in
time
restore function. It seems as though over the weekend a SAN controller
upgrade has led to whole file systems lost and parts of others on a node.
The person responsible wants to restore only those files that were on the
system as of November 29th and not have it write over any existing files.
The admin seems to think that because TSM is restoring more files than the
file system can hold it is restoring more than it is supposed to. Can
anyone
lend a hand in describing if a point in time would do this and if so why?
If
the admin is doing this correctly why would the mount not have enough space
if in fact he made it as large as it was previously?

Thanks,

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer