ADSM-L

Re: 3494 and tapes

2003-11-26 13:54:11
Subject: Re: 3494 and tapes
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:53:49 -0500
I don't think there is any good answer to that.  It depends, of course, on
your data and the usage patterns at your site.
Some suggestions:

1) if you keep TSM DB backup tapes on site, you can move those out; nobody
should be calling for them but you.
2) if you have backupsets in the 3494, I'd move those out, as they are very
unlikely to be used.
3) If you have archive tapes in the 3494, move those out and put out a
notice that anybody who wants to retrieve has to call you first (assuming
hardly anyone ever does retrieves).
4) If that still doesn't clear enough space, try this:

select volume_name, date(last_read_date) as lastread from volumes order by
lastread

That will give you a list of all your tapes and the last time they were read
for any reason.
If you have some that haven't been read in a really long time, they are
probably the least likely to be read again.
Pick those and hope for the best until tyou get a new frame.

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
443-778-8769

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Dilbert/Scott Adams