ADSM-L

Slow DB2 backups and IBM says I'm too old for support.

2003-11-18 23:34:26
Subject: Slow DB2 backups and IBM says I'm too old for support.
From: Jeff Rogers <jrogers AT MJROGERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:31:06 -0500
We have what appeared to be a simple problem, we installed a new DB2
server and the backups (API) are slow, like 27 hours to backup a 100GB
database.  We have been backing up this database for years from a
different server in less than two hours.  The main difference between the
two servers?  The AIX version, the old server is AIX 4.3.3 the new one is
AIX 5.  The new server has been doing backups of small databases without
issue for a few months.

FWIW - when I look at the traffic on the Ethernet interface, I see 800KB/s
when the new server is doing a backup.  I see 2500KB/s when the old server
is doing a back up.  The servers share the same backup network.  So, the
TSM server seems fine, it appears the client is not sending data.  I have
no idea if this can be tuned or not, or if we have a version compatibility
issue.

So, we called TSM support, where we were more or less told to go away,
"your server is too old, your contract does not cover it."  So, that is
what I pay all this passport advantage money for.

This leads me to my question, what version of TSM is currently supported,
and which supported version is considered stable?  I sure don't want to
upgrade a working, super stable TSM install.   But apparently I have to.

I'm quite annoyed with IBM lately, it seems like customer service for all
products is going downhill.  If you have ever had an AIX problem and
accidentally muttered the words "FASTt" you know what I"m talking about,
they drop the call and ask for a P.O.

-JeffR