ADSM-L

Re: 2 fibre interfaces per drive

2003-11-18 13:07:07
Subject: Re: 2 fibre interfaces per drive
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:05:31 -0500
Our 3590H's are dual attached to our TSM server via separate FC switches.
It does work as described below.   I checked the atape manual . . . it
describes exactly what we've implemented.

Rick

                      Steve Roder
                      <spr AT REXX.ACSU DOT BU        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      FFALO.EDU>               cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: 2 fibre interfaces
per drive
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      11/18/2003 12:02
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

For the below to work, the book says that the devices have to be directly
attached to the HBA's.  Has anyone tried configuring alternate path
support for SAN attached 3590-H's?  The book says that it is not
supported.

> A recent version of Atape is required for dual path support. We use
> Atape 8.3.1.0.
>
> You also need to enable alternative pathing support on the rmt device
which,
> I think is set to off by default:
> i.e. chdev -l <device> -a alt_pathing=yes
> Then when you make the devices available to the host you will notice
> twice the number of drives. If you look at the device attributes with
> lsattr -El rmtx
> you will notice the location code xx-xx-xx-ALT or PRI ,
> the primary device value and the WWN. The latter will be
0xnnnnnnnnnn4nnnnn for
> the primary device and 0xnnnnnnnnnn8nnnnn for the alternative device.
> These allow you to 'pair' up the devices.
>
> If you have more than 3 or 4 tape devices I would recommend you employ a
naming
> convention to the devices to make these pairs more transparent, by
renaming them
> after cfgmgr has brought them into the system.
> Thus, we do a rmdev -l <rmtX> ; chdev -l <rmtX> -a new_name=rmtY
> such that the secondary / Alternative device name is 50 greater than
primary
> device name  - i.e:
> rmt2 => rmt52
> rmt3 => rmt53   and so on.
>
> Note that errpt will log errors against both device names, depending on
which
> interface the drive was being accessed when the error occurred.
>
> Finally, our experience tallies with Steve Harris' - failover is seamless
> - we pulled the active cable from a drive while backing up (test !)
client

~>******************************************************************************

~>******************************************************************************

> *****

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
HOD Service Coordinator
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
TSM/ADSM Administrator
UB DNS Team
(spr AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564)

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and
confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the
document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.