ADSM-L

Re: Need experiences with TSM 5.2.x upgrade on z/OS

2003-11-13 09:29:46
Subject: Re: Need experiences with TSM 5.2.x upgrade on z/OS
From: Joe Howell <jhowell_tsm AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:29:23 -0800
Thanks - what's the "garbage char." problem?  Do you have an apar number?

"Stumpf, Joachim" <joachim.stumpf AT DATEV DOT DE> wrote:Joe,

at the moment we are migrating from 5.1.6.3 to 5.2.1.1 (straight!).
We had a performance issue which you can fix with a ZAP (APAR PQ80211).
If you upgrade without doing the "cleanup backupgroups" on 5.1.7.3 (or later)
first, the TSM-Server will do it itself after upgradedb. This process cannot be
stopped and used a lot of CPU (before the ZAP).
Now with the ZAP it ran between 30min and 45min. on our 16GB Databases.
The 5.2.1.1 code seems to be stable but we have the garbage char. problem which
will be fixed in .... I think 5.2.2!

hope this helps,

regards
Joachim Stumpf

------------- Original-Nachricht folgt -------------

We're preparing to upgrade our TSM 5.1.6 server to 5.2.x. We run on z/OS and
have seen the writeup on apar PQ80211. IBM recommends either coming up to TSM
5.1.7.3 and running CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS prior to beginning the upgrade to
5.2.x, or upgrading straight to 5.2.1.3 (which doesn't seem to be available yet
- don't you just love being on the edge?) to get the fix for the apar. There's
also a zap available to fix the problem with CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS. Has anyone
been through this? What seems to be the cleanest way to deal with this issue?

Joe Howell
Shelter Insurance Companies
Columbia, MO