ADSM-L

Re: export/import

2003-11-12 14:01:53
Subject: Re: export/import
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:01:11 -0500
I can write to tape, but since this concerns tsm on the mainframe and the
stk silos are run with tms, I don't think that I can remove one tape from
the test silo arena and have it read in the production tms.  The production
tms won't recognize the tape volser and I don't think this will work...

Also, is the data deleted from the original tsm server or is it just a
copy?  I don't want to lose important data while trying to do this.

Thanks!

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603 **New as of 11/1/03
Fax:(717)302-5974
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com

             "Prather, Wanda"
             <Wanda.Prather@JH
             UAPL.EDU>                                                  To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: export/import

             11/12/2003 01:29
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

If you're just trying to move some client data from one TSM server to
another, you also have the alternative of just using a tape!

Run EXPORT on the first TSM server, write the data to a tape.
Run IMPORT on the second TSM server, specify the volser of that tape.

That's all there is to it!
It's much faster than using server-to-server communication, because with
server-to-server, you have to transmit the data via TCP-IP.

The only reason you MUST use server-to-server for export/import, is if you
have no compatible media that both servers can read/write.