ADSM-L

Server-Server DRM Configuration ...

2003-11-11 10:31:48
Subject: Server-Server DRM Configuration ...
From: "Khan, Khalid B." <kkhan AT ATCLLC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:16:16 -0600
I have a humble question regarding the benefits of Server-Server communication.
I have two sites 60 miles apart with 45MB pipe in between, and each of them has
a TSM server and a library. I was proposed by a TSM consultant to establish
server-server DRM configuration to enable quick recovery in case of disaster.
My humble proposal in response is to NOT do that but rather backup each site to
the other location. That way the DB is offsite as well as the primary copy,
therefore DR copy of the primary is NOT needed either. I would do this
reciprocally for the other site. In case of DR, data is locally available at
the other site.

Is this not a better solution than configuring server-server communication and
send a copy of the primary pool as well as the DB tape offsite.

Please help me understand what I may be missing in my proposal, or what
benefits I don’t see in the traditional DRM using Server-Server configuration.

Please advise!

Thank you,

Khalid Khan